Monday, 1 August 2016

Welcome!

Welcome to Room 2! My name is Sharon Boon, the children will know me as Miss Boon. I am excited about getting to know your children and helping them begin their learning journey.

About me
For the last 6 years I have worked with PORSE as an in-home educator and been involved with the local playcentre. Through both of these organisations I have completed qualifications in early childhood education which has helped me to provide a smooth transition for the children from Preschool to Primary school education.

I grew up in rural Whakatane where I completed both my primary and secondary education. I then moved to Auckland to complete my tertiary education. I lived on the North Shore for 10 years and then moved to Pukekohe, where I have been for the last 6 years.
I live in rural Pukekohe with my partner and our 6 year old daughter. We also have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 6 hens and several tropical fish.
I have a Bachelor of Sport and Recreation and a Bachelor of Arts in English and History to support my Postgraduate Diploma in Primary Teaching.

Parents are more than welcome to come into the classroom before school to help settle  children for the school day and look at any learning progress, however it would be beneficial for the children if parents leave by 9am. This enables them to quickly learn school routines and focus on building positive learning habits. Although there will be some tears, please be certain that this is a natural response when transitioning into a new learning environment and once school has begun, children often settle down and enjoy the day.
Please feel free to discuss your child’s day during school pick up.

Celebration and assembly
These are held on specified Fridays.

Celebration is when some classes share some work they have been doing with the rest of the school. Each team has a turn at showing their class work - our team is the KIWI team, and we are with Rooms 3, 4, 9 and 10.

Assembly is more formal where the school song is sung and certificates of achievement are handed out to some students.
I will notify you ahead of time when it is our celebration time and parents are more than welcome to attend.

Homework bags will be taken home every afternoon from Monday - Thursday. They will bring home a different reader each day that needs to be read at home to consolidate their learning at school. There are also  some high frequency words for them to learn. There is a list at the back of their books which they need to make their way through to help them become better readers and writers.
Notices
Weekly notices are sent home on Thursdays in the student’s bookbag. Please note that some notices are for eldest and only. Notices are available on the school website. Please be prompt when sending any permission slips back before the due date.

Lunch orders are on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday each week. I have included a lunch order list in your child’s homefun book. Occasionally on a Tuesday there may be a fundraising lunch order (for example, hot dog or pizza) - you will be notified ahead of time when this is going to happen.

Ted’s Adventures
Room 2 has a class teddy bear. Each Friday one of the children from the class will be chosen to take Ted home for the weekend along with his adventure book. It would be great if you could read to your child about Ted’s adventures and also write a little something about his adventure with your child. This helps to encourage story writing with the children through helping them to formulate their own ideas. The children can write their own words or you can help them write their ideas down, as long as they are telling you what they want to write about. It doesn’t have to be a long story and photos or pictures are a great addition to the story. You are welcome to email it to me and I can print it off and paste it in the book for the rest of the class to read about.

Blog
We have a class blog that is available through the school website. Student’s success and celebrations will be uploaded on the blog with photos for you to view. It will be updated regularly.

Facebook and School Website
There is a facebook page that you are welcome to sign up to. It is kept regularly updated with news and events. You can also go to the school website for further information.

If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact me on sharonb@reremoana.school.nz